Disaster struck on the evening of January 3, 1892, when fire damaged the church building to the extent that it was unusable as a house of worship. The vestry, under the leadership of the Reverend Joseph R. Jones, resolved to replace the church as soon as possible. The Baptist, Methodist, and Presbyterian congregations of Front Royal quickly came to the aid of their fellow Christians by donating the use of their buildings until a replacement structure could be built.

The Front Royal and Riverton Improvement Company donated a lot at the corner of North Royal Avenue and Second Street. The cornerstone of the new church was laid later in 1892, but the actual date of completion is a matter of speculation. The architect was a Mr. Charles Macatee, who worked from donated plans of a neo-gothic church in Anacostia, Maryland. Many local tradesmen donated time and materials to the project, and the steeple bell was donated by friends of the congregation in Baltimore, Maryland.

Reverend Jones passed away in 1894, leaving the congregation without a pastor. In mid-1896, after serving the congregation as a Deacon, the Reverend E.A. Temple was appointed the Pastor of Calvary Church, also serving Meade Memorial Church in White Post and a congregation in Middletown. The church building was consecrated on May 24, 1898 by Bishop Whittle, who described it as “a beautiful church – one of the prettiest and most substantial in the Diocese – built of limestone, and is commodious, comfortable and conveniently arranged.”